Advanced Feature News Story

For our advanced feature news story my team interviewed Sam Supernant. Sam is a basketball prodigy and is on the team here at Olathe Northwest. His background is interesting and his story is inspiring. He has overcome adversity in his life and didn't have a silver spoon in his hand starting out. This made him a compelling subject to interview and he really opened up to us.

We had three ideas in mind for our story originally but this story was too good to pass up and it came at a relevant time because we are just now getting into the heat of the regular season for basketball. We tried to interview Sam twice but we were unable to get all of the questions answered during his interviews, so I interviewed him over FaceTime. The audio didn't save on the screen recording I took, so all of my group member's videos ended up having constant narration throughout. We persevered through this mishap and even though the videos for my group aren't like traditional feature news stories, they still have some appeal to them and they are interesting to watch.


If I had the chance to do this project over again I wouldn't do about a specific person. If your story revolves around one person and they are central to your piece than if they are unavailable, your story might be in danger. Next time I would consider doing a feature story on the entire basketball team. I like how my group was able to get solid B roll. I think some of the shots we had of the gym were really nice and we got Sam on camera playing. I enjoyed this project, even though we messed up a little bit it was fun.

Comments

Popular Posts