Video 2nd Semester

This semester in video class the focus was on entertainment. We made a music video, a movie trailer, and a short film. I enjoyed all three projects and I hope to take the skills I learned this semester into entertainment next year.

Short Film



The short film we did was called Kansas City Noir. When making this film I was heavily inspired by blaxpoitation films of the 70s, Quentin Tarantino, and Neo-noir films. Including the script writing process, it took about 1 month to finish the film. My group did a great job overall. The struggles we faced came in the beginning of filming when we had an actor not show up on a scheduled filming date. The actor was supposed to play Vinny who was a main character. We worked around the issue by not showing Vinny in the film and portraying his character with a voice over. Also there was some location changes we had to do. I planned to film most of the film in Kansas City but our schedule made it so we had to film the majority of the film in Olathe. Being adaptable allowed us to make a solid film. Overall I think we did a good job on the video.

I think my team and I used our class time effectively. During the pre production process we completed storyboarding and planned to film in a short amount of time because everyone was focused. We got permission to film at Raising Cane's in Westport by calling them during the school week. During editing I think my group could've worked a little harder. Ariana did 90% of the editing if not more. She really carried the team when editing.

Music Video


Earlier in the semester we made a music video. We used the twenty one pilots song "Stressed Out." We tried to imitate their music video and I think we did a solid job. The shots we used were very similar to the ones in the original video. This project also took about 1 month to complete. We didn't have to many problems filming. The problems we faced came during editing. I edited a lot of the video and I really improved using premiere pro. I learned how to use some of the editing tools in premiere and how to match up audio with the video.

When doing this project everyone was productive. We divided the work equally amongst the group and everyone did their part. During the actual filming of the video, actors showed up and everyone did a great job. When doing projects in the future, I hope to replicate the process of this one.



I feel like I'm pretty good at communicating stories. I was able to improve this strength when I got the opportunity to write and direct a short film. In other projects I was also able to give opinions on the types of shots we should use and I was able to take some creative direction in editing. One thing I needed to improve on was camera work. I was able to improve on this by working the camera some during the music video. I feel like over the year I improved my strengths and worked on my weaknesses.

My favorite part of the semester was doing the short film. I feel like I worked really hard on it and despite the challenges, I'm happy with how it turned out. There isn't much I would change or do differently. I would probably push to work with the camera more when I had the opportunity. I did some work with the camera during with the music video but I would've liked to do more. Overall this semester I learned that expressing yourself creatively is fun. I want to be able to direct a video next year. That is my main goal.

I think that video class this year was great. I especially had fun this semester and I learned that I really want to do entertainment. I hope to take what I learned this year and build on it next year.

Comments

Popular Posts